This is Harder Than I Expected
So, I started a new tray of Mesclun after my first batch failed to germinate in June. I got about 15 plants from my first tray and the family is pinching leaves of lettuce off for sandwiches and tacos. We didn’t have enough yield for an entire salad but at least we are getting a small harvest from my first attempt.
The second attempt at growing Mesclun in trays germinated about 200% more seeds and the tray was doing great under a makeshift greenhouse cover. The germination rate pleased my novice skills and I continued to water and observe daily. About a week ago, I go to water and pull the lid off to see that all my seedling were gone and the soil disturbed. Seems like a little creature found his/her way under the lid and had their own salad. Not one seedling is left. So sad.
I am not going to give up.
This setback sucks, but I am learning my lessons the hard way, which is the point of this endeavor. This website is called Be Growing, and this is what I will be doing. Be Growing in the dirt and Be Growing in the mind. I will succeed at this.
I am going to have to build a proper grow area. Placing my trays out in the open will not work. I am going to repurpose a wire shelving unit and wrap it with a greenhouse plastic. Placing the grow trays on the shelves with a proper lid should provide the heat I need and keep those pesky critters out.
If you know of a better way, please leave a comment below.